Miniature Wargames

Miniature Wargames

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

2nd unit is Warlord Games Sarmatan Cataphract

I just finish these up this morning, actually they have been painted for a few days but I have been putting the basing off, anyone that follows my blog knows how much I DON'T love flocking and painting bases...lol  I really do have to say after painting this 2nd set of the Warlord Games Samaritan Cataphract that these are some of the best miniatures I have ever had the privilege to paint in close to 30 yrs of on and off painting!  Worth every cent period!  I painted these up so as to be able to use them as Romans by painting Reds and Tan/White colors common to Roman units I have seen elsewhere, yes I know they aren't Romans but I don't have but 1 Cavalry unit for my EIR Romans and they are light to medium types, so these will act as Roman Cataphractii or Clibinarii(sp) until such time as I can get them.

If you don't have any of these guys and are looking at get some have no fear they are fantastic sets of miniatures!  Also I wanted to note two things as follows below.

1st: I have run out of grass tufts so I tried the best I could to simulate them using flock.

2nd the 100mm Spears that come with these sets are lethally sharp, I would suggest sands them or grinding the tips down in some way as I did.  I used a dremel mototool with a sanding wheel to take the sharp bits off the tip.  With these guys it is very easy to skewer yourself  1/4 of an inch deep or more when reaching for one model by another point nearby.  You have been warned...:)




8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks AJ I am pleased how they came out.

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. They look great; nice painting on some really nice sculpts. I like their poses, armor and that standard is way cool. Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean thanks much. They are nice sculpts if somewhat unusual, the bottoms the the riders are molded as one piece with the horse which in this day and age seems to be a bit unusual. That aside they are fantastic! Also I think they are sculpts and not AutoCad designs, I may be wrong but they appear different from other Warlord stuff in this range.

      Cheers

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks much! They are very funny to paint.

      Cheers

      Delete
  4. Great job again on the cataphracts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Cyrus I really, really like painting these guys, I don't know why...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete